James Neave wrote:

Without using Samba2, what secure ways are there to gain access to files
on our corporate Bering box

At least you could mail an attachment to someone. Did you know that Bering got a mail command, you even can attach a binary. I use this to get data out of the firewall. I dont like/havy *any* connection to my beringbox, no ssh, no telnet, whatever. So the mail command is nice. But: you cannot mail *to* the beringbox, but you can send a email inside bering to your preferred MTA ;-). And have a look at POSIXness settings in lrcfg to set it all up and going.

have ey nice day