You have the auto statement in front of ppp1. So the sequence
> auto ppp1
> iface ppp1 inet ppp
>     provider dialin
is executed at boot time but probably fails for some reason (pppd script,
chat/pap file or whatever)
So when you type ifup ppp1 from console you get the message
> ifup: interface ppp1 already configured

>From the console issue:
ifdown ppp1
then ifup -v ppp1
then look at syslog/messages file is /var/log.
What are they telling ?
JN