arif wrote:
Hi Leaf'ers
I think Erich's answer was probably the best, but it also seemed like overkill to some degree - so let me be a bit more precise in what I'm trying to accomplish in hopes that there's an easier way to do this.

The problem:
I've got a server running in my DMZ that's running smtp, imap, and very light web hosting services. From out in the world, I can hit the page by hostname. From the LAN, I can address the dmz machine by IP address, and have in the past added an entry into my client machines (OS X, Linux, Windows) /etc/hosts file to be able to address the DMZ server by hostname as well. The LAN is small, only consisting of 3-4 machines at any given time, so maintaining the /etc/hosts files isn't really an issue for LAN-only machines. I run into problems with my OS X laptop. When it's home, I have to either change my /etc/hosts file, or use IP addresses. When away from home, hostname works just fine.

So the question is whether there's any (easier) way to have the OS X laptop hit the DMZ machine by hostname when it's on the LAN. Now that I think of it, I'm not entirely sure that the solution is best reached through modifying anything on the LEAF side of things since I think I could probably whip up an Applescript that would copy the right /etc/hosts file into place based on IP address/location. But, in the event that there's a nice, relatively easy way to do this from the LEAF side of things, I figured I'd ask.

I do this sort of thing using the 'views' feature of Bind9. Systems get different IP's for the same hostname depending on who's asking (based on IP address of the querying system). It's pretty easy to setup if you're running bind already.

--
Charles Steinkuehler