> At 22:56 23.02.2004 -0800, Eric House wrote:
> >In one sense, the problem's solved.  But: is this a reasonably safe
> >thing to do?  Has anybody out there found a better solution using LEAF
> >with an Actiontec?  Ideally I'd be able to turn the thing into a dumb
> >bridge, but when it's set up that way I can't get my IP address via
> >dhcp.  I'm not ready to double the cost of the connection to get a
> >static IP address.

Erich Titl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> then asked

> Can't you use pppoe/a ?

The modem uses pppoa to connect to Qwest, as per Qwest's configuration
instructions.  Do you mean that I'd use pppoa on the LEAF box to
connect through the modem (in dumb bridge mode)?

I've tried turning on bridging (an alternative to pppoa in the
configuration screen) and then asking LEAF to connect via dhcp.  This
doesn't work.  But I have not tried setting LEAF up to connect using
pppoa.  It's worth a try, to be sure.  I'll post a note if it works --
though it'll be 10 days before I have a chance to try.

Thanks,

--Eric