Tibbs, Richard wrote:
Dear list:
I am following the Bering user guide through the process to "create" a
bering CD --
I have a successful Bering 1680k floppy working on the machine.
To get the .lrp's onto a 1440 floppy, I am using the backup destination
facility, i.e.,

Take out Bering boot floppy, insert a 1440kb floppy.
lrcfg
b) backup a package
Then for each package etc, shorwall, etc. I change the destination to
fd0, msdos by typing d 3 (for etc) and selecting the appropriate options, then
b 3

This works for the first package backed up -- but upon backing up a
second package
i.e. d 5 (select fd0)
Then b 5 results in the message "cant mount backup device".

I have tried to umount the floppy, but it is not mounted (getting out of
lrcfg, then going back into lrcfg).
Forever, any further backups to fd0 fail with the above message until
reboot from the Bering (fd0u1680) floppy.

Any idea what to do?  I can reboot between each package, but it is a bit
tedious.

I suspect you're having consistency problems going between 1680K and 1440K disks. Note that /dev/fd0 *should* be 1440K, but I believe the default bering floppy backup target is actually /dev/fd0u1680, which is a 1680K formatted disk.

I suggest adding a 1440K backup target by running the following at the command line:

  echo /dev/fd0u1440 >>/var/lib/lrpkg/pkgpath.disks

Then you can change the backup target for all packages (d e) to the 1440K disk (probably choice #3). You can also try backing up everything at once (b e), but I prefer to do backups one at a time.

Note:  You can also just copy the LRP's from one disk to another:

  # mount bering 1680 disk
  mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1680 /mnt

  # copy files to /tmp
  cp /mnt/*.lrp /tmp