freeman groups wrote:

I had intended to make an RFE here, about the handling of <CR> within LEAF.CFG...

As mentioned, <LF> alone are the proper way to end lines on a Linux system. Curiously the file isolinux.cfg (syslinux.cfg too?) doesn't seem to have a problem if there are <CR><LF> in it.

My RFE is that perhaps the parsing of LEAF.CFG can be made tolerant of the <CR> characters just as the parsing of isolinux.cfg is?
In support of this RFE: it may reduce the stumbles that a new user (DOS/Windows) has, and that it may reduce some tech-support queries posted to this list.

Against this RFE: it'll take someone's time to effect this, and that if not by mucking LEAF.CFG and discovering that <CR>'s don't belong in the Linux world then a new user might well encounter this fact elsewhere, with some other file ... where it is perhaps less obvious and thus more confounding.

In support of this RFE: it is somewhat likely that no files other then sys/isolinux.cfg and leaf.cfg would get edited in DOS since all other files are 'hidden' inside .LRP files and would normally be edited on the LEAF box itself.

LEAF.CFG is sourced as a shell-script, rather than being read by the shell-script for data, which makes it harder to ignore <CR><LF> sequences.

Other than creating a temprorary file with <CR> stripped that would then be sourced, the only option I can think of would be to add <CR> to the IFS variable in linuxrc. I don't think there would be any nasty side-effects of this, but it would need to be tested.

Any volunteers to make a new initrd.lrp and try this?

--
Charles Steinkuehler