Hi!

RFC1918 cannot be blocked by default, because some ISP's provide
these addresses to their customers, so, if we did block them
Bering-uClibc would no longer work, and that would be our fault.

[snip]

> Supose a user from LOC LAN  and address 192.168.1.4  pings or
> trace(s)route to  10.0.1.1 which it is not used in local or
> any other zone ..
>
> 10.0.1.1 is DST
>
> If an observer in the net zone  ( the ISP )  observes packets
> comming in from
> source address 62.12.1.1
> tcpdump -i someif0 src address 62.12.1.1
>
> She will see these ping or traceroute packets with the
> following characteristics.
>
> SRC=62.12.1.1  DST=10.0.1.1
>
> Am I right or am I right ???
>
> So we have a packet destined to a private address space
> looking around the internet to contact address 10.0.1.1 ( noise ).
>

> So let me repeat
>
> Who is responsible to stop or drop or kill this packet ?????
> The ISP or The firewall admin ???

IMHO it is the firewall admin's responsability.

Use 'norfc1918' in the interface that connects to the net in
'/etc/shorewall/interfaces'

Luis Correia
Bering uClibc Team Member

PGP Fingerprint: BC44 D7DA 5A17 F92A CA21 9ABE DFF0 3540 2322 21F6
Key Server: http://pgp.mit.edu