Doug Sampson wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting a Mailman server (using Exim 3.35) to resolve
names properly. It is situated in the DMZ (192.168.2.x) of a network using
Dachstein CD102. I have an Exchange mail server in the internal network
(192.168.1.x).

I have tinyDNS running on the firewall. The internal TinyDNS zone file has a
MX record that points to the Exchange server at 192.168.1.4. There is no
public TinyDNS zone file.

While the server is pointed to the internal TinyDNS server on the firewall,
telnetting to port 25 of the internal Exchange server fails as expected.
However, this means email designated for internal users will also fail. This
is not the desired result.

When I point the name resolver on the Mailman machine to various external
name servers, mail gets delivered but to the external IP address of
Dachstein which in turn gets forwarded to the Exchange server. That works
just fine. However, when I try to do an apt-get update on the Mailman
machine, name resolution fails.

I added the external IP address of our internal Exchange server to the
'hosts' file on the Mailman machine thinking that Exim will deliver mail to
the external IP address. With the machine pointed to the internal name
server, Mailman pings correctly to the external IP address. But email
delivery fails due to the internal MX record on the internal name server
which is pointed to the internal IP address of the Exchange server.

One solution would be to relocate the Exchange server into the DMZ where it
should have been all along. But I would like to explore other options. Are
there any other options I am overlooking?

~Doug

I could not get timydns to answer for two internal networks. My solution is:

.private.network::localhost
.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa::localhost
=tworoute.private.network:192.168.1.254
=localhost.private.network:192.168.1.1

.dmz.network::localhost
.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa::localhost
=dmzbox.private.network:192.168.2.1

notice that the DMZ has a address in another network but it's name is in the private.network. This works for me.