Hi again,

Eric House wrote:
[can't run uClib 2.2 on Soekris]

It seems like you're "recycling" an old syslinux.cfg file - since
mine also includes an entry "LEAFCFG=/dev/hda1:msdos" (and in turn,
nothing for tmp_size and syst_size, since those can be set in the
leaf.cfg file). So, rather than just replace the lrps, you might
want to use all of the original files from the image (after
adjusting them so they'll boot from /dev/hda1)

I tried this.  Still no luck, and still the same symptoms: I get the
normal Soekris bootup stuff printed to my minicom window, then
syslinux.dpy is displayed, then "linux .....", and then garbage once
it reaches the point where it should be loading initrd.

Here's what I did, starting from scratch:
* reformated my CF card on my Debian laptop using 'mkfs -tmsdos /dev/hde1'
* mounted the CF card on /mnt/hde1
* mounted the Bering uClib 2.2 .bin file on /mnt/loop
* 'cp -p /mnt/loop/* /mnt/hde1'
* replaced /mnt/hde1/initrd.lrp with initrd_ide_cd.lrp (renamed initrd.lrp)
* edited syslinux.cfg, adding 'console=ttyS0,19200n8' after 'linux'
  and changing 'fd0u1680' to 'hda1'
* edited leaf.cfg, changing 'fd0u1680' to 'hda1'
* edited syslinux.dpy to remove non-printing characters
* unmounted /mnt/hde1 and ran 'syslinux -s /dev/hde1'

At that point I tried booting off the CF card and got the same old
thing.

Any suggestions what to try next?
one thing to try is to use the initrd_ide_cd.lrp from http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/leaf/bin/packages/uclibc-0.9/20/initrd_ide_cd.lrp?rev=HEAD&content-type=application/octet-stream

Ever since the Sourceforge staff turned off the cron jobs, the export of packages has not been happening regularly, so it may well be you're trying to use an old initrd (since that was what still was linked on the packages page). I've just changed the packages page so all links point to CVS again (so we again have to live with the at times flaky ViewCVS access), but at least the links on our packages page should now definately point to packages that are known to work.

Is it possible the formatting, via
'mkfs -tmsdos', is bad?
Not really - that's what I always do too (even though I do it on the Soekris box, after booting into "pxeinstall").

If the formatting were bad, would it take
until after syslinux.dpy had been displayed and the kernel loaded to
show up?
Not usually - I would expect that it wouldn't be able to load the kernel either.

Is it possible that the kernal, rather than initrd, is the problem
here?
Possible, but unlikely - since I use the exact same kernel as you do (the one from the disk-image).

At the moment, my best guess is that you indeed got an old package of initrd - if that's the case, I'm very sorry about the inconvenience (since that was "our fault" - you obviously went to the right place to get the package).

If that doesn't help either, I'm pretty much out of ideas - so lets hope that the right initrd will indeed solve the problem ;-)

Martin