Dale Mirenda wrote:

Random thought: One thing to check for might be running out of masquerade ports. This can happen if you have a lot of local activity getting masqueraded (how many users are at this facility?):

One fileserver, a switch, five desktops (only three users), two networked printers, The switch had me going for a while until I remembered that it had it's own ip address. They turned off all the computers and printers and nmap still showed a host up! My fault that time, not theirs.

OK, it's highly unlikely you're running out of masquerade ports with 3 users.

Thinking about this some more, I'm beginning to suspect the DSL line.

I know you've tried pinging the modem with success, but it's easy to be unclear about exactly *WHERE* that IP resides (especially when you're off-site). When I had Transedge service, the first thing I had to do was take the modem out of it's default transparent bridging mode and set it up for the routed IP range that they were actually providing me (somehow, there was a dis-connect between my network setup and the modem they sent, so I got the default 'soho' setup). In the default bridging mode, the first IP you could ping past the firewall was actually the DSLAM at the phone-company co-lo.

Phone lines (especially those running DSL) are notorious for intermittent noise problems, and can do some very odd things when they get wet or connections start to corrode (including spooky time-based problems or outages as heat from the sun hits the aerial wires and everything stretches and slides around in the cable sheath).

If you've got 'standard' DSL service and are not getting a block of IP's routed to you (ie: your DSL modem is in 'bridge' mode), I'm almost willing to bet the problem is actually the DSL line quality, likely caused by some recent ham-fisted tech playing with connections somewhere near your office (or sharing facilities with the pair you're running DSL on). It could even be something as simple as another DSL pair being activated that's causing cross-talk on your circuit.

I had about 10% packet loss due to DSL line quality going south after several years of good service, and I can vouch for the fact that it was unplesent. I don't even want to think about what 50%+ packet loss would be like.

As before, keep us posted!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html