Okay. I figured out an easy way to do this. I stuck this in my
/etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS (and /etc/profile) files:

. /etc/myenv

Putting a "." (period) was necessary otherwise the variables don't
export to the proceeding scripts. Why this is important, I don't know,
still learning Linux.

myenv has:

export varslikethis="10.0.0.1"

Is there an easier way? Such as:

varslikethis="10.0.0.1"
... and so on ...

export all (??)

/etc/network/interfaces does not support variables, only literals, so
it seems(?). I had to remove some of my interface settings (eth0, eth1,
etc) from there. Then I created a (basic) ifsetup script then modified
/etc/init.d/networking to call it.

I am currently using networking/interfaces to configure my dhcp
interface since I don't yet know how to do this with "ip link set...".

I also created my first custom package that allows easy maintenance of
the files I work with most. This gets more interesting as I go. Thanks
to everyone.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com