Rick

Tibbs, Richard wrote:

the pt-to-pt tunnel needed to know how to get to the other.

Not the endpoints, your local end point is a device which is linked to an address and knows the other end of the tunnel. The local and remote directives apparently take care of the routing issues.

Apparently not so.

Two remaining issues that I will experiment later:
1) Do I need a route directive on the wireless laptop?

Look at the routing table on the laptop once you have the tunnel up.

2) Pending the outcome of 1), Do I need route directives between home &
office.

IMHO that is the easy part of the set up. The tunnel between your home network and the office network takes care of the routing for the office.
Your home and wireless network are one and the same seen from the office.

Your set up appears complicated to me because you want to tunnel through your home network to address something inside your home network. I believe it could be done by bridging a tap device and eth1 and divide the home network in 2 subnets. I would go the easy way, define 2 subnets, one for wired and one for wireless. Add one more nic to the home fw and connect your wireless bridge directly to that nic.

Example:

wired subnet:
eth1 192.168.1.0/26
wireless subnet
eth2 192.168.1.64/26

Both live in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, thus are one and the same for your office gateway. On your home gateway you have now dedicated subnets for wired and wireless, which adds additional security to your set up because now broadcasts on the wire are not sent to the wireless environment. You will need to set up routing between the different shorewall zones but that should be easy.

cheers
Erich