Okay, I see things more clearly now. A meaningful message is usually a
balance one: don't say too much, don't say too little.

I think we both said too little, and then jumped to conclusions because
of it.

My post was short honestly because I'm new not only to LEAF but to the
CVS and I did not want to sound like an expert. Also because I didn't
remember the error message. And also, because my understanding is
sometimes fundamentally wrong. If I would have said more, there might
have been a lot of "virtual" blank faces staring at me. :)

I have been learning LEAF and ultimately, a lot more about Linux
recently and I frequently run into documentation that is slightly off.
But close enough to where you eventually get things working. Such was
the case with with CVS and the build environment. It's possible that
the documentation is correct however, but CVS has changed.

Before the leaf website transformation there were lots of broken links.
Also, the Bering documentation sometimes does not apply to
Bering-uClibc, where it is implied that it does. So I am constantly
suspicious of the docs. But I'm not complaining, only pointing out a
possible culprit.

If I would document the problems I run into I could probably help out
more. But I'm really just using the product. I have two leaf boxes in
production and more to come. -cpumemhd

Martin Hejl wrote:

> cpu memhd wrote:
>
>> Excuse me. I can't help but notice a negative tone in your reply.
Maybe
>> I am mistaken. Please clarify:
>
> Maybe you're reading too much into the two lines that I wrote (apart
from the output of the commands). The mail wasn't meant to be negative
(but maybe it sounded negative because it wasn't more verbose).

>>> "didn't work for me" is pretty hard to debug for anyone but you.
>>

>> What is this supposed to mean?
>
> You say that a line from the docs "didn't work for you", and a couple
of lines later you suggest that the docs need to be updated. But as
long as we don't know what "didn't work for me" actually implied (what
kind of errors did you get), nobody for whom it is working already
would know what the docs might have to be changed to.

>> I wasn't trying to debug anything, or even imply that I was
debugging.
>> The command: "cvs -d
>> :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/leaf login" did not
>> work for me on the three or four occasions that I tried it.
>
> What happened after you entered that command? You may not be trying
to debug anything, but if I'm supposed to update the docs, I'll surely
have to.

>>> I doubt it, since it works just fine here:
>>> (...)
>>
>> The fact that it works for you does not mean it will work for
everyone
>> else.
>
> Absolutely - but at the same time, the fact that it works for me and
other people also suggests that the docs aren't plain wrong. And to be
able to figure out how to change the docs, I'd need a little more info,
to find something that works for everybody.

>> Something is causing a problem for at least two of us. I was able to
>> overcome this problem. I thought I might be able to help.
Apparently,
>> my assistance did not measure up to your standards. Or if there is
>> something inherently wrong in my reply, please let me know what the
>> guidelines are for posting.
>
> I'm sure there are somewhere, but I didn't write them. I did write
that part of the buildtool docs, and I would gladly update it, if you
give me anything to work with. "Doesn't work for me" without anything
else may well be a true statement (in your environment), but it doesn't
help the ones who are responsible for keeping the docs up to date.