Robert K Coffman Jr - Info From Data Corporation wrote:

Just throwing this out there and see if anyone has any ideas.

I have an old P75 with 2 PCI slots and 4 ISA slots.  I've been using this as
a Bering 1.2 router at a customer location.  They asked me to add an
additional NIC to it to support another office's internet connection.  While
I was at it, I upgraded them to Bering uclibc 2.2.2.

I tested this router after it was completed, and got extremely bad
throughput (around 50kbs from a local FTP server that can easily deliver

10MBs (that should be megabytes) per second.

I moved some things around, eliminated a 10MB hub, tried various nics (3c59x/tulip in the PCI, smc-ultra/wd in the ISA slots) and found the best throughput I could get was around 100kbs, and that was using all ISA cards!

My theory is that their is some sort of hardware problem with this machine
which is limiting this.  The slots are all on a riser card, and perhaps that
thing is bad.

I'm going to install as is, and inform the customer that we need to replace
the hardware.

Anyone have any alternative ideas why this thing is so slow?

- Bob Coffman

You did not tell us what is your Internet side. Do you happen to be on a pppoe connection? If so - did you setup CLAMPMSS=YES in Shorewall config? That will really slow things down if you didn't.