On Thu, 11 Aug, 2005 at 09:16:34 +0000, Erich Titl wrote:

Sorry for the delay. I'm very busy most of the time, and I end up falling
victim to the "if it takes an hour to learn a faster way of doing a 30
minute job" -thing... :(

> Jon Clausen wrote:

<snip different things about tracking hosts in various ways, and the (lack
of) security involved>

> > I'm not happy about the thought of having this data go unencrypted through
> > the Internet, but OTOH I need some way to track these hosts...

- so first things first... safely getting the data off of the routers;

> I am mostly using IPSEC tunnels for all the above, added a little
> iproute2 magic to allow to use the tunnel from the LEAF box itself.

- is what I should be looking into, to begin with.

My first aim is to get remote syslogging up. Network syslogging (as opposed
to snmp f.x.) is something I understand well enough that I should have
basically just "one variable in the equation"; Tunneling.

Once I get tunneled syslogging up, I ought to be able to apply what I've
learned in the process, to snmp.

As always; pointers etc. much appreciated... good books on the subject f.x.?

TIA
/Jon
--
YMMV