Hello,
My Bering-uClibc  firewall is mostly working in my test set-up, except
that nodes on my
LAN cannot access the firewall by name (default "firewall"). The LAN
nodes can ping
each other by name.

I am using DHCP.
In the dnsmasq configuration I have set
                                     resolv-file= /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf
                                     local=/localdomain/
                                     interface=eth1
                                     domain=localdomain
When I connect via cable "modem" the contents of this file look OK:
                                     search hsd1. tx.comcast.net.
                                     nameserver 68.87.85.98
                                     nameserver 68.87.69.146
The contents of  /etc/resolv.conf  are
                                     nameserver 127.0.0.1
                                     nameserver 192.168.1.254
and my /etc/hosts file reads
                                     127.0.0.1               localhost
                                     192.168.1.254       firewall
Access to internet sites is OK. The system is acting like it is ignoring
the /etc/hosts file.
I'm not a newbie, but neither am I an expert in networking. I'm
suspicious of my
setting for "local" and "domain", but not for any particular reason.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards, Rich Olson