I posted this on OpenVPN but I notice quite a lot of tunnel-related stuff here
too.

I have set up an OpenVPN system (using a LEAF Firewall on a WRAP
Platform) and have been testing this with Windows XP clients, using the
GUI from Mathias Sundman. As the clients connect over Wi-Fi, their DHCP
leases are quite short (1 hour).
To allow more testing, I started using XP clients under VMWare (version
4.5.1) and noticed that they lose connectivity after 1 hour of
operation. On examination, I found that the DHCP lease update occurring
on the physical network was resetting the default gateway back to the
value of the physical router and removing the default gateway set up
over OpenVPN with the directive 'push "redirect gateway"'.
A reconnection of the VPN client fixes this. Curiously it does not seem
to happen to the host computer (also XP) running the VMWare clients -
this machine reports 2 default gateways, one for the physical NIC and
one for the VPN tunnel (only MS could have 2 'defaults'), but anyway it
works. It seems the VMWare NIC software is changing the way that DHCP is
affecting the routing table.

I remember having seen reports of similar ocurrences in this list, which
is why I am posting, I hope it helps.

Regards,

Bob von Knobloch