Eric Spakman wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I don't want to make the config system more complex than it needs to
> be, also for future enhancements like remove packages and current
> options like upgrade and show config changes (which will show strange
> output because the default config file wouldn't exist anymore). I
> also find the selfcleaning feature important.
For myself, the value of not having an arrangement that is predisposed
to dataloss my config setup is far, far greater than keeping my config
housekept and as small as possible. (And I don't see that having a
standard, safe SaveConfig in addition to the current
HouseCleanSaveConfig would add that much complexity).

> I will write down a warning in the documentation that if you remove
> packages and want to preserve old config changes, you should scp or
> backup the configdb.

My guess would be that few people will read it (rightly or wrongly) and
even those who do will be prone to forgetting in the days/weeks/months
after they read it and are messing with their system.

I've gotta say that since the consequence is so grave (losing data) that
I am a little bummed out that more is not being done to prevent other
people falling into this trap. Anyway, such is the beaut of open source
that I can fix things up for myself the way I like (only downside there
is that any time I upgrade I have to port over any changes).

> A question, why did you need to reboot often to test the sensors
> package? You can load and unload modules on a running system and it's
> also possible to restart or reload daemons with their init.d files
> without rebooting.

I was having no luck with the 'expected' modules needed (there are
literally dozens to chose from) so I did insmod lots of *.o files to see
if that gave me any success. However the last few modules would complain
about being out of memory (512MB on this PC?!) so I figured that some
sort of unpleasantness was going on underneath and thus rebooting was
the best was to test conclusively.

Anyway, thanks for considering my request and of course, thanks for LEAF!

scott; canada