dmesg gives me an output very similar to what you wrote in the mail. I tried
using a wpa_psk as opposed to a wpa_passphrase but I still get the same
"can't connect to kernel driver" error. Something like this:
ioctl [IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument
Could not connect to kernel driver.

THe /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:
auto ath0
iface ath0 inet static
            address 192.168.1.254
             netmask 255.255.255.0
            broadcast 192.168.1.255
            wireless-channel 1

The output of lsmod |grep ath is the following:
ath_pci                        60292 0
ath_rate_sample           7872 0 [ath_pci]
wlan                           129916 1 [wlan_xauth wlan_tkip wlan_ccmp
wlan_acl ath_p]
ath_hal                       174288 1 [ath_pci ath_rate_sample]
I suspect that I'm missing some important drivers here, but am not sure. How
do I go ahead from here? I would like to be able to connect to this AP from
an external PC or laptop.

Many Thanks
Aneesh