davidMbrooke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else having problems with the OpenNTP daemon dying?
>
> I'm running "openntpd 3.9p1 Rev 3 uClibc 0.9.28", part of Bering-uClibc
> 3.1-beta3.
>
> I start it, it runs fine for a few days, then it stops. I normally only
> notice when the clocks on the internal network machines start drifting
> out of sync - and whenever I check there's no openntpd process running
> on the firewall (there should be 2 - parent and child).
>
> My /etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf is really simple - apart from the comments
> just:
>
>     listen on *
>     server 80.4.96.1
>
> I've tried using different servers / multiple servers, but nothing seems
> to change. 80.4.96.1 isn't a great NTP server (stratum 6) but it's only
> one hop away from me.
>
> I've just re-started the NTP daemon in "debug" (-d) mode. Hopefully I'll
> be able to get an error message next time it fails.
>
> Then again, I could just switch back to ntpd.lrp which, despite its
> large size seemed to be reliable. Is that what other people are running?
>

> dMb

I notice this also but it does not seem to happen with all isps.  Not
sure why.  This is my solution for a cron scrip

#!
CLKNTP="openntpd"

    if  [ -n "`pidof openntpd`" ]; then

         /usr/bin/killall $CLKNTP 2>/dev/null
     fi

        /usr/sbin/openntpd -s

exit 0

I add the script to the list in local.lrp so it gets backed up.  Add it
to /etc/crontab at some period and that fixed my problem

Victor