Boris,

Apologies for top-posting, but I can't see how to respond piecemeal.

I run SBS2003 behind a LEAF bering firewall but my setup is different: Two
NICs on the SBS server and the SBS manages an interior "Windoze" network
(for example 192.168.0.0) to which it serves DHCPD, DNS - everything
configured using the SBS wizards as if the upstream interface were connected
directly to the public Internet. SBS works best when you use it's wizards
and don't tinker around with individual service configurations. Otherwise
you really need to understand how things interoperate with AD, Remote
Access, etc.

The SBS upstream interface is on a seperate private network (192.168.1.0 for
example) that is managed by the LEAF bering firewall (two NICS). The bering
upstream is a public IP from my ISP. The bering box serves dhcpd and dns to
the intermediate network. The SBS upstream has a static address on this
network and the gateway and DNS point to the bering box.

SBS is configured to forward all DNS queries not resolved internally to the
bering box just as you might do to an ISP's DNS server if the bering
firewall and intervening network weren't in the path.

There are a few internal linux servers and workstations on the .1 network
(inside the bering firewall but outside of the SBS network) and various
other things which don't affect the topology.

Yes, there are two layers of NAT for clients connecting to external sites
from inside the SBS network. I've never had any problems resulting from this
for over 5 years now. It's an office network which I designed and continue
to manage and it has been extremely stable and trouble free.

The main benefit of this design is that both the LEAF bering firewall and
the SBS 2003 begin life with very simple "stock" configurations. It is easy
to tweak to get something like SBS "Remote Web Workplace" (a very useful
feature, IMO) or Remote Access (RAS, a VPN server) working from the Internet
by configuring DNAT rules (I use shorewall) for the various ports and
protocols (all are documented and easily found). The SBS server need not be
bogged down running advanced or third party firewall solutions and there is
less exposure to various Micro$oft security risks.

The SBS environment (and M$ server stuff generally) has extensions and
dependencies among DHCPD, AD, DNS, RAS. The best way I've found to avoid
these pitfalls is to isolate the Windows environment.

[Internet]--firewall--["dmz" net]--SBS--[Windows net]

Hope this is helpful,
~Bob