On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:02 -0700, Mike Noyes wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 14:39 -0500, Ralph Green wrote:
> >   This is pretty interesting.  I thought no one was making them with
> > write protect anymore.  I have been using a USB to SD card adapter and
> > SD cards, because the SD cards usually have a write protect switch.
> > Now, I wonder if any of these write protectable USB drives use good NAND
> > memory.  Most of them these days are MLC(junk), instead of SLC.  None of
> > the drives in this list said anything in their specs about the type of
> > flash chips they are using.  Do you know any that use SLC(Single Level
> > Cell) and have a write protect switch?  If they were close to reasonably
> > priced, I'd have to go buy a few.
>
> Ralph,
> I suggest you contact Kanguru and Imation directly, and ask them about
> the NAND memory they use.
-snip-

Ralph,
>From what I can tell, it looks like the Imation Pivot and Kanguru
Defender Pro use SLC.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Imation+Pivot+NAND+SLC
http://www.imation.com/en/Imation-Products/USB-Flash-Drives--Accessories/Pivot-Flash-Drive/

http://www.google.com/search?q=Kanguru+Defender+Pro+NAND+SLC
http://www.kanguru.com/defenderpro.html

http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/
SF.net Projects:  leaf, sourceforge/sitedocs