Hi Rob,

Since your NICs use different drivers one option is to force the drivers to load
in a particular order by listing them on the kernel command line.

In *linux.cfg, specify something like the following:
    APPEND reboot=bios KMODULES=driver1,driver2,driver3

See also
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/leaf/index.php?title=Bering-uClibc_5.x_-_User_Guide_-_Basic_Configuration_-_Booting_for_the_First_Time#Hardware_Device_Driver_Issues

davidMbrooke