Hi,

   I am having some problems logging into the the serial console of a
raspberry pi.  I have connected a usb to serial dongle to the raspberry
pi gpio pins.  I have a hyperterm
session running at 115200 8 n 1 on my laptop.  I have edited cmdline.txt
to read:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4
elevator=deadline LEAFCFG=/dev/mmcblk0p1:vfat init=/linuxrc
root=/dev/ram0 rw rootwait reboot=bios

I have verified /etc/inittab to read:
# /etc/inittab: configuration.

# Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
::wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2

# /sbin/getty invocations for selected ttys
#
# Format:
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 tty2

# Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
#
#ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 19200 vt100
#ttyS1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt100

# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
#
#ttyS3::respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3

# Stuff to do when restarting the init process
::restart:/sbin/init

# Stuff to do before rebooting
#::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/etc/init.d/rc 0

/etc/securetty :
# /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
# See securetty(5) and login(1).
#
# Include ttyp0, ttyp1, etc to allow telnet access. *NOT RECOMMENDED*
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6
tty7
tty8
ttyS0
ttyS1

All I get in the hyperterm session is :
Uncompressing Linux .... done,  booting the kernel.
Can anyone spot anything obvious why I can't login?

Thanks
Jim