I'm trying to get 6.0.2-rc1 working on a PC Engines apu2c2 but there are
problems with loading modules in some cases. I note that the moddb stuff has
been removed and all module loading is now done from modules.sqfs mounted to
/lib/modules/$KVER. Although this works at early boot time to load modules
in /etc/modules it fails later on for iptables-restore and
ip6tables-restore. iptables and ip6tables autoload modules as needed for the
specific rules required. Although the scripts in /etc/init.d for iptables &
ip6tables mount modules.sqfs to load the helper modules in IPTABLES_MODULES
they don't for the -restore operation. iptables-restore is effectively just
a wrapper round iptables so it autoloads modules in the same way.

There are other configuration applications that operate closely with the
kernel - e.g tc - and perhaps some of them also autoload modules as
necessary. They will also fail in the absence of a mounted modules.sqfs, as
will ad-hoc use of iptables during testing of new configurations in a
working environment.

For the moment I will solve it by creating a version of /etc/modules from a
lsmod listing once everything is running properly but a better solution than
that is needed. Are there issues with mounting modules.sqfs permanently?
Would mounting /dev/sda1 permanently & readonly interfere with mounting it
readwrite temporarily somewhere else to update configdb.lrp?

regards,

John Sager