On 12 Aug 2010, at 21:25, Michael Deckers <michael.deck...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I fear that the matter is less simple. The proposal keeps the
>   name UTC for the newly defined timescale. (And unfortunately,
>   there is precedent with essential changes in definitions of well
>   established time scales: GMT.)

AIUI the UT* terms disambiguate the various meanings of GMT (ish). Perhaps the
name UTC will be superseded in a similar way, becoming ambiguous and replaced
by new terms.

> So that, absurdly, those people
>   who continue to use UTC in the established sense could not keep
>   the well-established name for it -- they would have to find a
>   new name to avoid ambiguity (eg, UTL for UT with leap seconds).

UTC cannot exist without a recognised authority who determines when leap
seconds occur. If that authority stops adding leap seconds and breaks the
|DUT1| < 0.9s guarantee I doubt anyone will take over the job. It would
probably be easier to switch over to using the GPS time scale and ephemeris.

GMT was also tied to a particular maintenance regime and stopped being a
precise timescale when it was no longer being maintained.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/