On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> michael.deckers said:
> >
> >    Very interesting, thanks! The "double leap second" resurfaced
> >    in the ISO standard for C in 1989.
>
> However, this (and its adoption by reference into Posix) was due to a
> misunderstanding by the people in WG14 at the time. When I fully understood
> what was going on, I got WG14 to fix the C Standard (and, again by
> reference, Posix) to only allow 61 seconds per minute at most.

I wondered if it dated back further, perhaps to the /usr/group standard.
I don't have my copy of the BSD SCCS repository to hand, but the 4.3-Tahoe
manual (dating from 1987-8 ish) still says seconds go from 0-59.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,