No single approach is likely to satisfy all.
There is a requirement for a minimal set of standardized approaches.

-Stephen

On 2016-12-01 12:39, Brooks Harris wrote:
Hi Stephen,
On 2016-12-01 02:49 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
More details on the developer site:
https://developers.google.com/time/

Notably this page:
https://developers.google.com/time/smear

which include "Our proposed standard smear" - "We would like to
propose to the community, as the best practice for leap seconds in the
future, a 24-hour linear smear from noon to noon UTC"

Hip hip hooray! De facto standards for the win!

Stephen
Ah, this is good. I'd missed that page yesterday.

I might suggest you good go a little further.

You say "Each second of time marked by Google's servers will be about 13.9 μs longer than an SI second. "

Some developers may probably need to know exactly, or as exactly as possible, the ratio.

If I've got this right:

20 hours = 20 * 60 * 60 = 72000 seconds
Plus the Leap Second = 72001 second
So the ratio is 72001 / 72000 = 1.000013889 (rounded to 10-9th precision, nanoseconds)
This a repeating decimal number which may be denoted 1.000013(8).
Applications should be careful to provide adequate precision for the purpose.

-Brooks