On 11/12/20 3:45 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
--------

     predicts that d(UT2)/d(TAI) = 1 after 2021-11-13, ie
     the rates of UTT2 and TAI are expected to agree for the
     next year. This has never happened since 1961. We may
     not need to abolish leap seconds for quite a while.

Unless of course we get close enough to a negative one, that people
are *really* going to freak out.

Hands in the air:  Who here besides Warner and me has ever tried to
test handling of negative leap-seconds ?

not exactly leap seconds, but I had a system that ingested time from two sources that were nominally synced, and one slipped behind - it was a gruesome disaster. Time going backwards creates ALL sorts of problems with log files and locking schemes and telemetry decoding/plotting that assume that time is monotonically increasing. (we leave, aside, the whole daylight time issue - that's a "print formatting of time values" thing.

It fills me with great trepidation if clock time were ever to go backwards. I think what would happen is that people would hack it and have it sort of run slowly over some seconds, while maintaining monotonicity. And then create tiger teams to fix it when someone else did it differently, and your financial system ingested transactions that appeared to end before they started.