Peter Bunclark scripsit:

> Well would you Americans consider stopping calling them English Units?
> It makes me cringe every time the Mars Climate Observer crash is blamed on
> `English Units'.

You'd probably cringe if you went to an American restaurant for breakfast
and heard the waiter ask the cook for "two toasted English".  :-)

> We call the British equivalent Imperial Units, implying
> a definite historical context.

Their proper name (in U.S. government publications
and such) is "U.S. customary units".  See .

> And teach our kids SI units.

We teach SI units too, but most people forget them fairly quickly.
There are also practical problems:  "Retrofitting metric sized wallboard
on old 16" spaced studs can be significantly difficult."

All Norstrilians knew what laughter was:        John Cowan
it was "pleasurable corrigible malfunction".
        --Cordwainer Smith, _Norstrilia_        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to