Steve Allen scripsit:

> The changes in the length of any kind of year are slight by comparison
> to the changes in length of day.  Neglecting "short" period variations
> the length of the sidereal year has not changed much in a billion years.

That is to say, the current best approximation to the n-body problem of
the Solar System says that it hasn't.  Fair enough.  I merely threw that in
in case it was an issue.

> The Gregorian calendar was designed to match the "vernal equinox year".

Thanks for the correction.

> The new fields being added to GPS signals make them able to count leap
> seconds for 30000 years.  That's quite an example of engineering margin.

Indeed.  But then so is IPv6 (if we ever get it adopted widely).

--
John Cowan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side