Rob Seaman wrote:
Doubt I can lay my hands on the copy of ISO 8601 from my Y2K remediation
days.  Anybody want to comment on whether it actually attempts to convey
the "Gregorian" algorithm within its pages?

Yes, it does.

This International Standard uses the Gregorian calendar for the
identification of calendar days.

The Gregorian calendar provides a reference system consisting of a,
potentially infinite, series of contiguous calendar years. Consecutive
calendar years are identified by sequentially assigned year numbers.
A reference point is used which assigns the year  number 1875 to the
calendar year in which the “Convention du mètre” was signed at Paris.

The Gregorian calendar distinguishes common years with a duration
of 365 calendar days and leap years with a duration of 366 calendar
days. A leap year is a year whose year number is divisible by four
an integral number of times. However, centennial years are  not leap
years unless they are divisible by four hundred an integral number
of times.

This is from section 4.3.2.1 of the final draft of ISO8601:2000.

It's also an interesting quote in that it suggests that the 1875
Convention du mètre is important in the international definition
of the Gregorian calendar.  Anybody know more on that?

Ed.