On Dec 26, 2006, at 20:06, Tony Finch wrote:

I was thinking partly from the point of view of infrastructure: if you
have a mechanism that can keep the system's timezone database up-to-
date,
then it is adequate for keeping the leap second table up-to-date.
This is
an approach to answering Ashley's initial question, and the one
taken by
Linux's use of the Olson database (though its implementation is far
from
ideal).

I've been thinking the same thing. Right now time zone information is
updated by the "software update" process on many platforms (such as
Windows XP and Ubuntu).

The alternative to my idea is to have a leap-seconds file as a
software package that will be updated every six months.

--
Ashley Yakeley