Steve Allen wrote:
On Mon 2007-01-01T17:42:11 +0000, Ed Davies hath writ:
Sorry, maybe I'm being thick but, why?  Surely the IERS could announce
all the leap seconds in 2007 through 2016 inclusive this week then
those for 2017 just before the end of this year, and so on.  We'd have
immediate 10 year scheduling.

For reasons never explained publicly this notion was shot down very
early in the process of the WP7A SRG.  It would almost certainly
exceed the current 0.9 s limit, and in so doing it would violate the
letter of ITU-R TF.460.

Yes, I was assuming exceeding the 0.9 s limit, as I'm sure the rest
of my message made clear.  We are discussing this as an alternative
to, for all intents and purposes, scrapping leaps altogether and
blowing the limit for all time, so I don't see this as a problem.

Ed.