In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Ashley Yakeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: On Jan 2, 2007, at 11:40, Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > The second technical problem is that the length of a second is
: > implicitly encoded in the carrier for many of the longwave time
: > distribution stations.  10MHz is at SI seconds.  For rubber seconds,
: > the broadcast would drift into adjacent bands reserved for other
: > things.
:
: At 1000ns, the carrier would drift by 10Hz. Surely the bandwidth is
: big enough for that?

Likely.  I hasn't done the math.  I didn't know if the rubber seconds
idea was only on leapday, or for the whole year.

: > Also, GPS would have to remain in SI seconds.  The error in GPS time
: > translates directly to an error in position.  Approximately 1m/ns of
: > error (give of take a factor of 3).  Rubber seconds would require that
: > the rubber timescale be off by as much as .5s.  So GPS has to remain
: > in GPS time (UTC w/o leap seconds, basically).  That means that the
: > rubberness of the seconds would need to be broadcast in the
: > datastream.
:
: GPS is TAI. I'm not proposing abandoning TAI for those applications
: that need it.

GPS is also used for UTC today.  Many ntpd's are stratum 1 tied to a
GPS receiver.  ntpd is UTC, by definition.

The gymnastic necessary to produce UTC timing signals from GPS
(non-rubber) timing signals with rubber UTC secods would be, ummm,
very interesting.

Warner