Hello Paul,

On 05.04.2017 23:23, Paul Oranje wrote:
Hello,

I’m wondering how to make LEDE build automatically an initramfs image (for use with
u-boot tftp recovery boot), when the ENH200EXT is selected as the target device. By
setting "CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS=y" a working image is build that can be
tftp-booted alright, but I would prefer that it is build automatically beside the
sysupgrade image.

The context would, as requested, be "target/linux/ar71xx/image/generic.mk".

The "generic" subtarget doesn't have included "ramdisk" feature:
https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/target/linux/ar71xx/generic/target.mk#L2

It's the one responsible for selecting the "TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS":
https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/scripts/target-metadata.pl#L34

https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/config/Config-images.in#L11

On the other hand, "mikrotik" subtarget uses initramfs images as they are required for initial LEDE flash:
https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/target/linux/ar71xx/mikrotik/target.mk#L2

Is the initramfs image required for initial LEDE image flash on your device or is it just useful with recovery mode?

From what I have understood so far, the clause would be something like:

        define Device/enh200ext
          DEVICE_TITLE := Engenius ENH200EXT
          DEVICE_PACKAGES := rssileds
          BOARDNAME := ENH200EXT
          CONSOLE := ttyS0,115200

Side note: this is default under ar71xx target, drop this line in your next patch please.

Defaults: https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/target/linux/ar71xx/image/Makefile#L99

--
Cheers,
Piotr

          IMAGE_SIZE := 8192k
          IMAGES := initramfs.bin sysupgrade.bin
          MTDPARTS :=
spi0.0:256k(u-boot)ro,64k(u-boot-env),6272k(firmware),1536k(failsafe),64k(art)ro
        endef
        TARGET_DEVICES += enh200ext

The sysupgrade image is build, but the initramfs image is not build. I suppose
an IMAGE/initramfs declaration must be added, but I do not know what to declare
or call.

Some help would be appreciated,