On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:

On 01/18/2018 01:51 PM, Nick Lowe wrote:
Does an update to the Kernel, 4.9.77 and 4.14.14 need to be made to
properly address this? There are fixes to mitigate Spectre.

We even need a patch for GCC which will be in GCC 8 and 7.3.
For master we should backport it to GCC 5.5, but what do we want to do
with 17.01 and 15.05 ?

I'll speak only of CC - there is no microcode updater in it at all, so while 3.18 contains partial patches and GCC 4.8 is unlikely to get fixed, we should add this facility into it anyway.

The AMD microcoded updater needs at least kernel 4.15, 4.14.13, 4.9.76,
4.4.111  which we already have.

That's only for the fam17h (Zen) CPUs, earlier CPU types should work with earlier kernels, and this can likely be backported into 3.18. (I don't have a Zen-based box to test, hands up whoever has one.)

Regards,
-w-