On 18 Mar, 08:47, John Wiegley <jo...@newartisans.com> wrote:

> The advantage here is that you don't have to build Boost, don't have
> to install MacPorts to get GMP and MFPR, don't have to do anything.  A
> multi-hour confusing build process is eliminated, and you can just run
> Ledger right away.

Amen to that! I have always encountered one problem or another
compiling it on Ubuntu or OS X. I think you are/were using a very
recent version of one of the libraries that isn't in Ibex, for
example. So I had decided to push Ledger into the background and wait
for Jaunty to come out. I'm tempted to take 3.0 out for a spin on OS X
to see what's it's like.

My problem is that I can't work out which OS I like best. I like OS X,
but MacPorts is imperfect, and there seems too many ways to do one
thing (there seems to be umpteen versions of Python one can use from
various sources). Ubuntu has some advantages over OS X in some ways. I
had Firefox running on OS X, and also displayed on OS X from my Ibex
box via ssh -X. Man'o'man, those Ubuntu boys have got a long way to go
before they even get close to the polish of OS X. I also like
Slackware. It's got a very zippy feel to it. The problem with
Slackware is, after ages trying to install yet one more dependency, I
think to myself "why am I punishing myself like this".

> Let me know if this works for others.

I have managed to get it working. I had taken a look at ledger in the
past, but rejected it on account of it not doing exactly what I
wanted. Given the news that it has had a major revamp, I am keen to re-
evaluate it. Keep up the good work, John, I appreciate what you're
doing for the open-source community.