Michael Farnbach <noble.obl...@gmail.com> writes:

> Now, I see a problem in doing this. Ledger's strengths in my opinion are in
> its stateless ledger, and by that I mean each entry can be anywhere in the
> ledger. And to add this to the entry itself in the ledger file would create
> a state that would then have to be tracked or conflict with what happens
> before or after it.

Ledger is not really stateless.  There are a lot of features that depend on
the order it sees transactions in, since sorting by date is not strict enough.

You can accomplish "setting to the bank's view" with a transaction like this:

2011-08-12 Sample
  Assets:Checking    = $200.00
  Equity:Adjustments

This tells Ledger (Git/3.0) that your checking account's balance must be $200
after this transaction is completed.  It will put whatever amounts are
required to accomplish this into the Equity:Adjustments account.

> Now, in full disclosure I'm an avid 2.6 user, I don't know if Hledger,
> Beancount, or 3.0 Ledger has this functionality already.

I think it does. :)  I call it a "balance adjustment".

John