Interesting, let me mull that over a little.

As site hoster I'd need to keep two up-to-date repo copies since SITE refers to NEXT/docs/* (and you could imagine it referring to code too, eg for generated API docs.).

Contributors would benefit from needing to know about one repo instead of two, but they also would need to keep two repo copies; or live with extra friction switching between working on code/docs and site.