On Tue, Oct 02 2012, Russell Adams wrote:

>> > I was too using a personal perl script, doing the mapping from a table. But
>> > I tried the 'i' of icsv2ledger, and felt in love with this 'i'. On
>> > contrary,
>> > rubycsv and CSV2ledger does not (yet?) implement this 'interactiveness'.
>> > Also CSV2ledger is not unicode compliant, and I am not living in an ASCII
>> > world :-).
>>
>> It was the interactiveness that was the key feature for me as well.  I
>> came from using MS Money, and so was used to it automatically
>> suggesting payees and accounts from the string supplied by the bank,
>> so I wanted something similar when I processed my download from the
>> bank.
>
> Interactive sounds like a nice feature! I hadn't tried that.
>
> Normally I import hundreds of records... So my focus isn't on one at a
> time data entry, I want bulk and standardized records.
>
> I'm keen on John's new emacs mode that's letting me query my files for
> items to clear / update (ie: my queue in my workflow). I can now see
> one line per transaction, and hit enter on them to jump to the right
> file.

I realized, with no small embarrassment, that I don't really need an
external tool, since I use emacs for maintaining my ledger files, and
for everything else. In the course of writing some elisp functions to
consume bank records I noticed the new version of ledger-mode, and am
considering using it -- do you have any pointers or things to watch out
for? I noticed strings in there that still point to directories on
John's computer :)