On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:51:12 -0700, "John Wiegley" <jwieg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can manipulate the data structures in Python, but you'd have to write the
> whole file back out with a "print".  However, this drops information.  At the
> moment this is no way to perform an information-preserving transformation,
> since that has never been a feature of Ledger.

I am slightly stunned as I have always seen "print" as a way to, for
example, re-order a file. In fact, from the 2.6 manual:

   The `print' command prints out ledger entries in a textual format that
   can be parsed by Ledger.  They will be properly formatted, and output
   in the most economic form possible.  The "print" command also takes a
   list of optional regexps, which will cause only those transactions
   which match in some way to be printed.

   The `print' command can be a handy way to clean up a ledger file
   whose formatting has gotten out of hand.

So when did it start dropping information and why? What information does
it drop?

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry