On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:37:01PM -0400, Martin Blais wrote:
> Now the truly, wonderfully great thing is how much *power* we have
> using our little text files. It's exhilarating. I can write a little
> script that renames my accounts automatically - I use xx-rename - look
> at it in visual diff, run bean-web on it, look at the reports, decide
> if I like it or not, revert and retry if I screwed up until I get it
> right.

Very much agreed.  Although that comes at the price of either
sacrificing the correct surface syntax (e.g. right indentation,
alignment, etc.), or of writing quite complex text patching scripts.

In particular, I'm personally annoyed that when I batchly update ledger
files to rename accounts, transaction amounts easily become unaligned.
So, before (git) committing I go through them with ledger-mode and C-c
C-q them to fix alignment.  I've written Python code to emit properly
aligned transactions when generating transaction templates from my bank
statements, but I haven't gone as far as doing that around plain old
sed.

Do your scripts take care of that too?

Do we need a ledger-sed or something of the sort?  Or maybe something
simpler, such as a ledger-indent?

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  z...@upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o