When I want to see how much money I owe people, I do:

ledger bal liabilities:payable

And see an undifferentiated total.

When I want to see who I owe that money to (ie, the payees), I do:

ledger bal liabilities:payable --pivot=payee

Which gives me an output that seems to include all the people I've ever
owed money to, with the positive and negative amounts in a big list,
ending in the same balance as the first command.

That makes it pretty impossible to see which payments are still
outstanding. The reverse, with assets:receivable, is also true.

Is there a different command I can use to see only the remaining balance
of outstanding payments, and the payees for those payments, and nothing
more?

Thanks!
Eric