Hi Alok,

You need to book the remaining 0.01 EUR somewhere, so it doesn't get lost
:-) E.g. it could be an "Expenses:Bank Charges" if it's due to your bank
taking some fee out of it. Or maybe it's a rounding error, or the
difference is due to some other reason.

Personally, I usually book currency exchanges through a "Currency" account,
so that any remainders accrue there.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Alok Parlikar <happy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems I can't always use multiple posting costs in the same
> transaction. Here are two hypothetical test cases. Is this the expected
> behavior?
>
> *Case 1*:
> 2015/03/05 * Payee
>     Assets:Bank                                $1.00 @ 1.02 EUR
>     Income:Revenue                            -$1.00 @ 1.01 EUR
>
> Expected output of bal is that the transaction fails to balance.
> Seen output:
> $ ledger -f /tmp/x.dat bal
>                $1.00  Assets:Bank
>               $-1.00  Income:Revenue
> --------------------
>                    0
>
> *Case 2*: Add "D" entries for each currency.
> D $1.00
> D 1.00 EUR
>
> 2015/03/05 * Payee
>     Assets:Bank                                $1.00 @ 1.02 EUR
>     Income:Revenue                            -$1.00 @ 1.01 EUR
>
> Now I get the expected error:
> $ ledger -f /tmp/x.dat bal
> While parsing file "/tmp/x.dat", line 6:
> While balancing transaction from "/tmp/x.dat", lines 4-6:
> > 2015/03/05 * Payee
> >     Assets:Bank                                $1.00 @ 1.02 EUR
> >     Income:Revenue                            -$1.00 @ 1.01 EUR
> Unbalanced remainder is:
>             0.01 EUR
> Amount to balance against:
>             1.02 EUR
> Error: Transaction does not balance
>
>  --
>
> ---

Best regards,
Daniël Bos

Your government is reading your email. Slow them down with encryption.

My public key: http://goo.gl/gms497 (4096 bit RSA, id EF2D5D91)
Fingerprint  : D8D0 9FBE F075 F709 7B52  2F73 326C 2123 EF2D 5D91