On 5/31/15 4:37 AM, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> How do the rest of you do this, and/or what's the recommended way with
> ledger?

I have one journal file per year. I started this for performance reasons
but it has some other advantages: increased isolation (it's harder to
accidentally mess up old data) and information hiding (less data in my
face when I'm editing).

As the last entry of the year, I post the required amount to each asset
and liability account to bring them all to 0 ("closing balances"). At
the start of the next year's file, I put the same entry with the signs
flipped ("opening balances"). I use hledger's equity command (similar to
ledger's) to generate these.

The closing and opening entries at each year transition cancel each
other out, so I see the correct asset/liability balances regardless of
whether I am reporting on multiple files or just one. I use all.journal
which includes all years, when I want to see a lot of history.

I don't bother zeroing income/expense/equity accounts, or folding them
back into assets/liabilities the way (I believe) accountants do. I am
probably missing an opportunity for error-checking here, that I don't
understand yet. An upside of not zeroing them is I can easily see their
total across multiple years.

This isn't perfect, it's just how I've been doing it for a few years.