Thanks Kumar, this is what was expected.
However I still have the same error, and I do not understand what is
wrong... John, any idea?

$ cat /tmp/test.ledger
2012-01-31 * Buy Apples
    Stocks    30 APPLES @ 12 USD
    Unknown

2011-02-01 * Buy Apples
    Stocks    10 APPLES @ 10 USD
    Unknown

2011-02-02 * Buy Apples
    Stocks    20 APPLES @ 11 USD
    Unknown

$ ledger --args-only --file=/tmp/test.ledger bal --lots "Account" -S
'lot_date(total) || date' -y "%Y-%m-%d"
While evaluating value expression:
  (lot_date(total) | date)
While calling function 'lot_date 0':
Error: boost::bad_get: failed value get using boost::get

Thierry