On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Brian Exelbierd <b...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 02:40 PM, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> I have this propensity to travel and/or to purchase this from out of
>> country.
>> This means that my credit card amount isn't the same as that displayed
>> on the invoice.
>> So I enter from the invoice and then adjust later when I get the
>> credit card invoice which tells me how much I paid in my currency.
>> Credit card exchange rates change often (think it might be on the
>> minute I'm really not sure how often the companies change their
>> exchange rates but I do know it doesn't stay the same for even one
>> day).
>>
>> This produces an invoice which in currency A reads like   (nonsense
>> numbers)
>>
>> foo1                                23.12
>> foo2                                  4.25
>> foo3                               125.21
>> foo4                                 23.25
>> shipping & handling           15.24
>> tax                                   12.34
>>
>> Tt                                   203.41
>>
>> the exchange rate is given as 1.302612
>>

>> Is there a way of writing the invoice in ledger so that the exchange
>> is applied to the amounts?
>>
>> Maybe I'm asking for something that goes further than ledger intends
>> to go but I know that although I am comfortable in doing the
>> calculations for this kind of issue that a lot people aren't. (That's
>> why a lot of people get others to do their bookkeeping for them!)
>
> I live in a multi-currency world reguarly.  I tend to track all of my
> currencies directly, such as
>
> 2017-01-01   Purchase in EUR on a USD CC
>     Expense:Foo        5 EUR
>    Liability:CC            $5.10
>
> If I enter the transaction before the CC bill arrives, I enter a
> tentative dollar amount and then clean it up in reconciliation.
>
> Does that help?

I've been just entering the amounts in the 'other' currency and then
adjusting them after I get the credit card invoice. Its a nuisance
having to multiply 10 or more numbers by a 6 decimal digit number and
not making a mistake. Was wondering if there were some neat little
'add in' or some such so that I could just plug in the exchange rate
and then possibly even automagically the values would change to the
ones for my base currency. I'm trying to automate my book-keeping
trying to make less things where I could make a mistake!

Our ideas aren't too different - - - I think - - - - thanks!

Dee