* Martin Blais <bl...@furius.ca> [2017-01-25 00:07]:
> > > 2012-04-10 My Broker
> > >     Assets:Brokerage:Cash       $750.00
> > >     Assets:Brokerage            -10 AAPL {$50.00} @ $75.00
> > >     Income:Capital Gains
> > >
> > > and now Ledger correctly reports the realized gain of $250.00.
> > > So far, so good. What I find it surprising is that also this one
> > > balances:
> > >
> > > 2012-04-10 My Broker
> > >     Assets:Brokerage:Cash       $750.00
> > >     Assets:Brokerage            -10 AAPL {$50.00} @ $90.00
> > >     Income:Capital Gains
> > >
> > > and gives exactly the same result (ledger reg --lot-prices). So,
> > > is the @ annotation totally ignored in this context? Is this a
> > > bug/limitation of Ledger?
> >
> > I don't think it's a bug but it's a limitation.  If you take
> > Assets:Brokerage:Cash and Income:Capital Gains together, you always
> > get the same value regardless of what the gain is.
>
> No. It's neither a bug nor a limitation. If you sold an asset the market
> values at $90/share and you only received $75 a share for them (i.e., you
> got ripped off), your profit is $75, not $90. That's the correct number.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.  In particular, I think it's
wrong to say "your profit is $75".  It's not $75 in any of the
examples.  It's either $25 or $40.

Anyway, you assume that the person actually received $750 on their
brokerage cash account wheras I assumed that this figure was
incorrect.

So what I was saying is that the second transaction should be:

2012-04-10 My Broker
     Assets:Brokerage:Cash       $900.00
     Assets:Brokerage            -10 AAPL {$50.00} @ $90.00
     Income:Capital Gains       -$400.00

Whereas in your example, we have:

2012-04-10 My Broker
     Assets:Brokerage:Cash       $750.00
     Expenses:HighwayRobbery     $150.00
     Assets:Brokerage            -10 AAPL {$50.00} @ $90.00
     Income:Capital Gains       -$400.00

But capital gains is still $400.  Why?  Because you sold AAPL bought
for $50 for $90, making $40 profit each.  And you sold 10 of them.

For tax purposes, can you subtract the HighwayRobbery expenses?
Probably, but imho that's a different question.

> In your second example, you'll see that Income:Capital Gains is
> > incorrect (it's -$250 instead of -$400).  If you fix it, you'll
> > end up with the correct amount for Assets:Brokerage:Cash.
>
> Where does the money come from?

($90 - $50 ) * 10 is the capital gain, I don't think you can argue
about that.

Whether some of the money is lost on some other expense may be a
different matter.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/