To Martin's point, Google <emacs add thousands separators>.  In particular,
see
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Grouping-Digits.html,
the somewhat less
general https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AddCommasToNumbers,
or
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30140414/showing-thousand-separator-in-org-mode-spreadsheets.

 The Calc solution seems to have the benefit of affecting the display, not
the value / type.

Remember, too,that ledger follows one's hints by adding commas in reports
if one uses commas in the data.  I've rarely felt the need for a comma or
other separator in the text.

Bill